Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Ordeal Begins

This is a cheat blog; basically a copy & paste of a letter written to a friend while I was in the hospital.  Specifically, a letter to a blogging friend, so it ended up having the feel of a blog post.  Admission:  I have been a closet blogger, hiding in the comments sections to try to express what I want without the responsibility of actually having a BLOG (eeek!).


    




I've been wanting to write about this for a while. I've been wanting to write in general for longer than that. But, I never seemed to know where to start.

So I guess I'll just start here.


Recently I was in the hospital, from Sept 27th to Oct 12, for acute pancreatitis. What led up to this was that I had experienced a weird, indigestion (I thought) or heartburn episode the week prior to Labor Day. Bad stomach pain and bloating/pressure whenever I ate.


After a few days of trying Tums with no luck, I had hubby get me some Mylanta and after a few days of that it went away, totally gone by that Saturday afternoon. I was like, “cool!”.






Well, it started happening again the following weekend, on Sunday.  By Weds, when my little Mylanta bottle was gone and had not done anything to help this time, I knew I had to bite the bullet and call the doc, as my hubby had practically begged me to do the first time. Too bad I didn't listen to him then.


So I go to the doc on Thurs and they draw blood for tests b/c sometimes the symptoms I have can be caused by certain bacteria. The results were expected to be in probably Monday. Well on Sunday afternoon I'm half asleep on the couch when the doc calls. She had gotten the results of the blood tests and says my pancreatic enzyme levels are very high so I have to go in the next morning for a CT scan.


I go for the CT scan (after having to drink 2 bottles of that barium shit, *gag**puke*) go back up to doc's office b/c she had them read the x-ray immediately. She takes me back to her office and already I know something is weird cause everyone just gets quiet and stares at me, and even the nurse who is usually aloof at best and a straight-up bitch more often was being gentle and solicitous with me.                      
                                                 
 Yep, sure enough, doc comes into the exam room and explains that the CT scan shows a mass in the pancreas.


A mass.


I think that has to constitute the most-dreaded, most-hated, 4 letter word you would never want to have to hear.


A. Fucking. MASS.


Shit.


So, then she sends me back down for an MRI. Same result. And that's how I end up here in the hospital. The pancreatitis was so severe they had to put me on IV fluids so I could cease eating, and also had me on IV pain meds. The whole goal here has been just to get the inflammation under control and my gut back to "normal", just so the specialist can eventually do his tests to tell for sure if there is a mass and if so, determine malignancy.


This past Sunday, my condition was still so bad they put in a PICC line to feed me intravenously and take me off water even (only ice chips... yay).


And.... here I am. Fighting with this pain, fighting with pain meds making me so sick I kind of would prefer to just die, trying with all my might to not be freaking the fuck out about this because, according to gastro specialist guy, there is actually a good chance there is no mass, that sometimes that much inflammation can appear that way on an x-ray. And, even if there is, it may not be cancerous. I'm trying to hold on to that, and just believe with all my heart that it's going to be nothing after all, or maybe just my gallbladder and I can just have that p.o.s. taken out, done.


And I'm sorry, I know it was kind of weird to dump some of what's happening in a comment on your blog, but the combination of a morphine haze and how your post struck such a chord with me, led me to just impulsively write about what I had come to realize in all of this. I think a part of me also hoped that if I wrote it down, saw the words, it would feel less surreal. It did not.


[My comment to the friend's blog post copied here for background; the reason for the letter explaining wtf I was talking about]


That place of needing to disappear- I know it very well. Oddly enough, I used to get that (along with what I suspect were periodic anxiety attacks) even when I was a child.



It’s funny that now, as I enter the early morning of day number seven in the hospital, and feeling that I have disappeared in some ways, I’m thinking it probably isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You know, the disappearing.

I also feel sort of forced to consider that the truth is I’ve been living my life as a kind of dry run of “being disappeared” for about the last six years; with my sights set on moving to another, better state as soon as possible, I’ve essentially been a passive spectator in my life, at best. Not unlike “watching both through my eyes and from a place up and to the right…" But it’s only now, in this situation, that I’m actually feeling some desire to want to try desperately to experience the moment(s)…


And facing the possibility that I may in fact disappear in the near future for real, as in permanent-like, six-feet-under-style (or maybe scattered about the mountains — unlike you I have not considered my will in the slightest), I am surprised to find that I actually do have some regret over checking out of my life here because I have been so focused on plans to movedisappear to another, better place, in the future. I’m suddenly thinking of so many things that I still want to do; things that of course I’ve thought about before but brushed off– because I haven’t really been invested in my present life, I didn’t really give a shit (besides working and achieving the ultimate goal; then I would(could) have peace, happiness, tranquility and all that stuff).


But as prosaic as it is to say, a situation like this… the prospect of death becoming real rather than an abstract notion… actually has prompted me to reevaluate my perspective, and to realize that I maybe do want to give a shit in the now, and that I maybe don’t have to hold off on experiencing life simply because I am not yet where I really want to be geographically; to embrace the fact that I am here, and not disappeared.



Oh!  I almost forgot, I would like to dedicate this first post to the awesome, I mean awesome Tawni (really, she shits rainbows!).  Her own embarkment into a new realm of blogging with the COFFEE project really inspired me to finally attempt this myself.  (Coffee is an Acronym)
So, thank you Tawni.  And if nothing else, I think this will be a cathartic and often humorous experience!  ♥

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Michelle. I read this with my heart racing, eyes glued to the screen. All of my sympathy to you as you deal with such a stressful, scary thing. The symptoms you were/are having happen to all of the women in my family until we eventually have our gallbladders removed, and then we are absolutely fine for the rest of our lives, no more indigestion, upper right side pain, nausea, etc. My mom had recently lost over twenty pounds because she could no longer eat, finally got the gallbladder out, and is doing great. I will be praying for that outcome for you because gallbladder removal is such a simple, band-aid surgery/outpatient procedure nowadays, and I want you to have a fast, easy solution. I hope you get some good news very soon, and I'm going to be sending so many positive thoughts your way. (Rainbows, unicorns, sparkling puppies; the works.)

    I think I know what you mean about disappearing. I have spent a lot of time in my life, frozen in fear and indecision, watching the opportunities (and my dreams) disappear. I have a very annoying tendency to think, "I'll do that later, after... fill in the blank." My husband pointed this out to me last year when I was talking about cutting off my hair.

    I've been a short-haired gal my whole life. Hair bothers me, and when it's long, I just put it in a ponytail and cut short bangs to get it off my face. But I still haven't lost all of the weight I put on during my pregnancy. I decided that I couldn't cut my hair short, couldn't "pull it off," until I lost the weight. My husband said, "You do that a lot, you know. You decide you can't do *this* until you do *that*. You don't live in the Now."

    I decided he was right, and it made me angry at myself. What am I *waiting for* all of the time? If we wait until the perfect moment, sometimes that moment never comes and we miss the good stuff. It's kind of a frivolous example, cutting off my hair, but it was indicative of a deeper issue. So I decided to just stop worrying about the perfect moment and DO IT. And that goes for everything in my life, not just my hairstyle. :)

    I am really looking forward to reading about your journey to wellness and bravery here! Go Michelle! You can DO it! xoxoxoxoxoxo.

    P.S. The flower picture at the top made me gasp. So beautiful. And Nurse Ratched made me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for the simple gallbladder issue for a while there in the beginning, but after the EUS showing for sure that there's a mass in the pancreas, well...

    And the biopsy results indicate an atypical (which is so fitting for me, ironically) matter that they don't think is malignant now but is known to be in 10-15 years. Since I'm not old and "ready" to go or in poor health -- we are the same age! - the best option is probably going to be removing it so I don't have the extra fun of pancreatic cancer at age 50 or 55. Because by the time that happens, well you're pretty much fucked. I've already known three people in my life who have died from that. Quickly.

    Tawni, tell your hubby I got goosebumps when I read your quote of him telling you that you don't live in the Now. This is exactly what I've been reflecting on since all this crap started, which just conveniently happened to be while my husband was laid off from work, naturally. I think it was that ton of bricks on the head, in your face shout from the universe "HEY! You are not immortal, and this ain't no dress rehearsal!!! Start LIVING dammit." Plus seeing the savings we'd built up to eventually move to Georgia slowly dwindle away was so so so depressing, and I realized I was feeling like I was just withering. And it kind of hit me, I started asking myself, Self, why exactly do you have to be there before you can be truly happy? So you don't like where you live now, but that does that mean you should be miserable? What's wrong with trying, I mean really trying, to make the best of it? Is that such a BAD thing?

    Duh.

    And of course the usual fears holding me back and whatnot... I guess I'll need to start sorting through that mess eventually too. ;)

    Thanks for the comment and for reading hon. It means a lot to me, you really do inspire me more than you can imagine.
    Also thank you so much for all the shinys and sparklys, but I'm really worried I'm going to use up your entire reserve!! ♥

    The flower picture is breathtaking isn't it? I snagged it from somewhere a long time ago and it just seemed to fit here. lol @ nurse ratched too. snort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is BIG. I'm so glad you're joining us at COFFEE. I'm so glad you're rejoining your own life (as you contemplate in a quite profound and urgent way what that means). And I hope that stinking pancreas of yours starts cooperating.

    So glad to have you, Michelle! Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patresa,

    Really?? Wow! Ok, well now I'm a little freaked out and a little bit regretting putting this out there. But you know, Networked Blogs had to have that thing that said "If a blog is not read by anyone, does it really exist?" Damn. They got me there. And I knew about what you guys were doing so, I showed it to Tawni. haha

    And thanks. This is big. I keep trying to forget that, just go one day at a time, make it to be small, but to the point that I carry on mostly as usual and overdo it and then am miserable right about... now. And I still didn't get to commenting on your post today! (I read it this morning!)

    Thanks again :)
    Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course!

    and, to take a little pressure off, if you change your mind about being linked, it's no big deal at all whatsoever and we can remove the link. there is an escape! (but i hope you will stay, because you write well and have an interesting story!)

    also, i just realized that i had you linked specifically to THIS post (instead of to your blog, in general), so i just fixed that.

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! It feels better just to know that. And thanks for fixin'!
    :D

    ReplyDelete