Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Always Knew I was Different

Last week I had an EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound) and biopsy done to check my pancreas, gallbladder, and all that stuff.  The pathology results from Sherman indicate "atypical" cells, or matter, present in the mass.  The doctors so far are leaning towards doing a Whipple surgery -- removing my pancreas.  Yes, apparently one can live without it.  I would have to take supplemental enzymes for digestion but I think I'd rather that than the alternative, which is probably ending up with pancreatic cancer in 10-15 years.  I definitely would rather take enzymes than deal with that, for sure.


A tissue sample was also sent to the Mayo Clinic for a second opinion, and I'm supposed to be finding out today if they concur with the docs and local pathologists.  If so, it's off to surgery I go, ASAP.  There is a possibility that they will recommend waiting for now, or would require more tissue to make a full analysis (which would also mean surgery).  Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment