Friday, November 12, 2010

Gonna Kick Some Cancer Bootie, Aries Style

Met with the surgeon last night.  He's very nice, very cool, and very experienced.  I feel really good about him.  Unfortunately, he's really booked and out of town next week so this won't be happening as soon as I'd hoped.  Maybe the Wednesday before Thanksgiving or the Wednesday after.  I don't care, I just want to get this done as soon as he possibly can.  If it is cancer already, the sooner we get the shit out, the better chance of it not spreading if it is still currently contained within the pancreas -- which is highly possible at the moment.

Well the meeting was interesting, mostly because he is addressing this as if it were definitely cancer ... "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" type of thing.  He mentioned the general routine of chemotherapy after if malignancy is found to be present.  UGH.  He'll be removing the pancreas and part of the small intestine, and I think part of the bile duct also.  Pretty complicated stuff.  I told him to just make sure he sews me back up good.  He said he has to or stuff will start coming out of my ears, lol.

What surprised me most of all is that it generally takes about 6-8 weeks of recovery after being in the hospital 7-10 days following the surgery.  Egads.  I'm just hoping it won't be quite that long, for either, considering I'm much younger and healthier than the people usually having this surgery.  (please, please, please let it be shorter!!)

The bottom line is, whatever I have to do, I'm gonna do it.  If I have to, I'm gonna be kicking some cancer bootie; channeling my Aries ram tenacity and ferocity and
snub. this. thing. OUT.  Rawr!



Ok, I don't know, I think that's all I have for now.  It is all a bit overwhelming and a lot to take in.
I wonder, does anyone ever really get used to the word "cancer"??


Til next time... Be well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. You are so brave. I mean, I knew this about you, but I am so impressed by your fighting-strong Aries woman style, and by your amazing attitude. You inspire me, Michelle.

    I *know* that you are going to kick this thing's ASS, and will come out on the other side of the surgery feeling better than you have in a long time. I love that you are already focused on the recovery too. Your positivity is infectious. You are amazing.

    Your surgeon sounds really cool too. Please keep us updated. I will keep sending all of the positive, sparkly, rainbow and puppy vibes and healing thoughts I have in my arsenal your way. xoxoxoxoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tawni, aw... *blush*

    YOU inspire me, YOU are amazing!

    Thanks for adding to my positivity, I AM going to kick its ASS dammit!! RAWR

    The surgeon is way cool, and has a sense of humor which is so important to me. He kind of looks like Santa, but with just a bit of stubble not the big fluffy beard. lol At one point in our conversation he was trying to prepare me for a potentially difficult recovery, and was starting to talk about how he can tell I'm not one to be easily discouraged or deal with it badly, kind of fumbling for his words, and I thought "Yeah, this guy gets me. He feels my heart."

    :)

    ReplyDelete